June 5, 2012

Daikon no Niku Maki/大根の肉巻き


I made daikon no niku maki (daikon wrapped in meat) as part of supper tonight.  As I previously mentioned, the word niku (meat) usually means pork in Kanto (Eastern Japan), while it usually means beef in Kansai (Western Japan).
今日の夕飯には、大根の肉巻きを作りました。前にも言ったように、肉とは関東では普通、豚肉を指し、関西では牛肉を指します。

1. Cut daikon into rectangles each measuring about 5 x 1 x 0.5 cm, sprinkle with salt, and let sit for 5 min.
2. Cut thinly sliced pork in half (each measuring about 15 cm in length) and wrap each daikon rectangle.
3. Place each daikon wrapped in meat in a frying pan, with the meat end side down, turn on the heat, and put on the lid.  No oil is necessary.
1. 大根は5 x 1 x 0.5 cm程度の長方形に切り、塩を振り、5分おいておく。
2. 豚の薄切りを半分に切り(それぞれ長さ15 cm程度)、大根を巻く。
3. 肉で巻いた大根を、肉の端がある側を下にして、フライパンに入れ、火を点け、蓋をする。油は要りません。
4. When the upper part of each daikon is done, turn over, and put on the lid to heat the other side.
4. 大根の上の部分に火が通ったら、ひっくり返して、蓋をして、反対側を焼く。
5. Mix 30 ml each of mirin, soy sauce, and sake, and add to the frying pan.
5. みりん、しょう油、お酒をそれぞれ30 ml混ぜて、フライパンに入れる。
After I transferred the daikon to a plate, I had to cook the unused daikon rectangles by first microwaving for 2 min. and then simmering in the frying pan.
大根をお皿に移してから、残った大根をまず電子レンジで2分加熱し、それからフライパンで煮ました。

I later sprinkled some white sesame seeds.
後で白ゴマを少し振りました。

I think I'll include some of them in the bento for my son tomorrow.
明日、息子の弁当に少し入れようと思います。

4 comments:

Sissi said...

I have also made some pork rolls today (but with different ingredients inside). I will write about them maybe next week. I will keep your daikon idea for the autumn and winter (this is when I eat more daikon).

Hiroyuki said...

Sissi: I'm looking forward to your pork rolls!

muskratbyte said...

I will try these soon! I love daikon! Until recently, I always ate it raw. Now I'm discovering many cooked daikon dishes.

Hiroyuki said...

muskratbyte: Daikon is versatile, and I hope you try many daikon dishes like oden.